An experiment to see how easy adapting the King's College London website to display a mobile-layout below a specific screen width would be.Visit site Smartphone demo
The King's College London website was redesigned in late 2010, and since then the opinion that a large institution like King's should have online content optimised for mobile devices has been growing in prevalence. Inspired by this article by Dan Cederholm I decided to tinker with the existing design to assess the possibility of retro-fitting the site with a responsive design.
I took the existing front-end code from the most commonly used template on the site, and added extra code to create a mobile-layout below a specific breakpoint.
The experiment can be considered successful in that it works well, and has provided a solid grounding for any work going forward in to redesigning the site responsively. There are currently ongoing discussions in to the feasibility of implementing a responsive design across the entire site.